2018 Strategic Plan Development
City of Paducah Vision Statement (adopted May 8, 2018) - Paducah is a city where people strive to reach their full potential through lifelong learning, creativity, culture, and compassion for one another.
Key Performance Areas - Each objective in the Strategic Plan Action Steps document is related to one of the following Key Performance Areas:
- Maintain high level of safety for all
- Develop healthy and sustainable neighborhoods
- Maintain thoughtful and modern infrastructure
- Provide open, smart, and engaged government
- Enhance arts and culture
- Empower upward economic mobility for all
- Provide excellent recreation experiences for all ages and abilities
- Celebrate a diverse community
Monthly Reports on Action Items - Each month the City is providing updates on the progress on the high priority action items. The low to medium priority items are updated quarterly.
November 2018 Action Items Update
October 2018 Action Items Update (includes quarterly updates)
Next Steps - The City Manager and staff are working to complete the Mission Statement and the Organizational Values with a deadline of December 31, 2018.
Background and Timeline for Strategic Plan Development
- In November 2017, the Paducah Board of Commissioners, City Manager, and Department Directors participated in a strategic planning session to begin the development of goals and priorities for the City. Julia Novak, president of the Novak Consulting Group, facilitated the interactive workshop.
- To continue the strategic planning process, Mayor Harless met with community groups in January, February, and March 2018 to gather input.
- The DRAFT Strategic Plan Presentation which was presented and discussed at the April 10 and April 24, 2018, meetings of the Paducah Board of Commissioners is a compilation of the information gathered over those months of planning and community engagement.
- The Board approved on May 8, 2018, the Municipal Order Adopting Vision Statement and Key Performance Areas which outlined a deadline of August 30 for final development. Exhibit A (from May 8) - Spreadsheet of Key Performance Areas and Objectives >>
- Workshop held on August 7, 2018, with Board, City Manager, and Staff. The City Team collaborated and reviewed the objectives under each of the Key Performance Areas. Each participant was asked to provide their top three and bottom three objectives for each Area. After discussion and tallying of the votes, the result is a prioritized list of objectives.
- On August 30, 2018, City Manager Jim Arndt provided the Board with the Strategic Plan Action Steps document. The Action Steps document provides the framework of how each objective will be accomplished by assigning key members to lead each objective, their accountability partners, an action timeline, how the objective aligns with the 2018 Citizen Survey, and a statement that describes the desired outcome. It’s a fluid, working plan that will be strengthened as data and best practices are collected.
City of Paducah Mission Statement
The City of Paducah is financially sustainable, provides first class services delivered in a cost effective manner and has quality infrastructure and facilities. The City engages citizens, exercises community leadership on local public service issues and is recognized as a regional leader.
To remind the public and the employees of the City's Core Beliefs, you'll find the mnemonic on the back of employee business cards and posted around City facilities.
PADUCAH IS A VIBRANT AND BEAUTIFUL RIVER CITY WHICH IS THE HEART OF FOUR RIVERS REGION.
OUR REGION HAS A STRONG ECONOMY.
OUR CITY HAS A NATIONAL REPUTATION FOR THE ARTS AND TOURISM.
WE ARE A HOMETOWN FOR FAMILIES AND AN INCLUSIVE COMMUNITY.
OUR RESIDENTS ENJOY A QUALITY COMMUNITY AND FUN THINGS TO DO.
PADUCAH - A GREAT PLACE TO CALL HOME.
The sentences above include the ten (10) Guiding Principles for the City of Paducah. In addition to the Guiding Principles, the City of Paducah has five (5) Goals. Every project and service in the City can be linked to one of the five goals.
- Strong Local Economy - Regional Center for Four States
- Efficient City Government - Quality Services for Citizens
- Vital Neighborhoods - Place for People and Businesses
- Great Place to Live - A Fun City to Enjoy
- Restored Historic Downtown, LowerTown, Riverfront - A Community Focal Point
Below are Strategic Plan Executive Summaries that explain the City's Guiding Principles, Goals and Objectives, and the Actions that need to be taken to achieve the goals.
Strategic Plan for the City of Paducah, March 2010 --News Release--
Strategic Plan for the City of Paducah, June 2009
Strategic Plan for the City of Paducah, March 2008