What is a Short-Term Rental?
A short-term rental is a furnished living space available for short periods of time, from a few days to several weeks. Under Paducah's ordinance, the short-term rental does not include the serving or providing of meals by the host to any guest (to distinguish from Bed & Breakfasts). Short-term rentals also are commonly known as vacation rentals and are considered an alternative to a hotel.
Download Paducah’s Short-Term Rental Brochure
To be compliant with Paducah zoning regulations,
- Know if a short-term rental is permitted on the property based upon the property’s zone. Visit Find my Zone to type in an address.
- Get a conditional use permit (if needed based on the zoning).
- Obtain a Business License from the Finance Department.
- File a McCracken County Transient Room Tax Form with the McCracken County Finance Department. This tax applies to all short-term rentals.
Two Types of Short-Term Rentals
Special Event Short-Term Rental
Special event short-term rentals are a principal use in all zones and the only type of STR allowed in the R-1 Low Density Residential Zone. They are permitted only for a period of up to seven days and only permitted to happen twice per year.
On-Going Short-Term Rental
- Principally allowed in all other zones except for R-1. However, STRs that are in the R-2, R-3, Planned Office Park (POP) and Neighborhood Services Zone (NSZ) Zones are allowed by conditional use permit only. This permit will list any conditions in order for the short-term rental to operate.
- Operates for lengths of time up to 30 days
- If a short-term rental is operated in the R-1 Zone, it must become a Special Event STR immediately.
- If a short-term rental is operated that requires a Conditional Use Permit, a permit application must be submitted and heard before the Paducah Board of Adjustment or Historic & Architectural Review Commission (HARC).
I Already Have a Short-Term Rental
If you have a short-term rental in operation at this time, call the Paducah Planning Department to find out what actions are needed, if any.
If you have a question about short-term rentals, contact the Paducah Planning Department at 270-444-8690 ext. 2067 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.