On Saturday, October 14, the contractor working for the City of Paducah, Jim Smith Contracting, will begin the rehabilitation of six blocks of Broadway in Paducah’s historic downtown district.
Weather-permitting, this street improvement project is expected to be completed in one week or less. To expedite the work and minimize traffic disruptions in consideration of the downtown businesses, the contractor will be on site each day by 7 a.m. and work into the late afternoon. Roadways will reopen to the public each evening, where possible.
Businesses will remain open during the project. The public is encouraged to visit their favorite businesses along Broadway since sidewalks will remain open. Please avoid parking on Broadway during the project. Vehicles parked in the milling and paving path will be relocated.
This project includes the milling and paving of six blocks of Broadway from Water Street up to but not including the 7th Street intersection along with the rehabilitation of 6th Street and 5th Street between the Jefferson Street and Kentucky Avenue intersections. The Broadway intersections at 3rd and 4th Streets are not included in this project since the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet recently paved those corridors. The alley that stretches from 6th Street to 7th Street between Broadway and Kentucky Avenue also will receive improvements.
To complete the project with the least amount of disruption as possible, the following is the schedule of closings and work to be completed. Please note that this is a tentative schedule that may be affected by weather or equipment delays.
- Day 1 – Contractor will mill Broadway between 5th and 7th Streets. Sixth Street between the Jefferson Street and Kentucky Avenue intersections will be milled.
- Day 2 – Contractor will mill Broadway to include the 5th Street intersection to 3rd Street. Fifth Street between the Jefferson Street and Kentucky Avenue intersections will be milled. The 3rd Street and 4th Street intersections on Broadway will not close during this project.
- Day 3 – Contractor will mill Broadway from 3rd Street toward the river. Contractor will pave Broadway between 5th and 7th Streets along with 6th Street between the Jefferson Street and Kentucky Avenue intersections.
- Day 4 – Contractor will pave Broadway from the 5th Street intersection toward 3rd Street along with 5th Street between the Jefferson Street and Kentucky Avenue intersections.
- Day 5 – Contractor will pave Broadway from 3rd Street toward the river.
- Days 6 and 7 – These are contingency days to complete project elements.
The striping of the roadways will occur at the end of the paving project.
Please use caution, and watch for the work crews and traffic control devices.
The City of Paducah maintains more than 220 miles of streets. If you have a question, please call the Engineering Department at 270-444-8511.